1. Come join us in our Discord Channel! Just click on the chat icon on the top bar to come in and join the fun!
    Dismiss Notice

BS Training Varus' Battle System Training

Discussion in 'RP & BS Training Grounds' started by Canadian Nay, Apr 30, 2017.

  1. Canadian Nay

    Canadian Nay Beaver Knight
    Assessor Scribe

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2016
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    10
    Credit:
    0

    LV: 1

    Aliases:
    Zimo Aririke
    Sylus Manira
    Rawiya Shahr
    Hey Varus, I'll be tackling your BS training so let's have some fun here!

    You've already constructed your Battle Sheet and had it approved, so let's skip the character creation tutorial and get right to combat and a mock quest scenario. Before we begin, feel free to ask any questions you have as well.

    When you're ready, post your Battle Sheet and Outfit for the mock quest scenario. For the sake of training, you can select any one perk from the Item Shop to fill your perk slot just for now. I'll post my character Rawiya's battle sheet below, setting her at at just Level 1. She'll and your character will be tackling the mock quest together:


    Rawi's elements: Earth, Spirit.

    Outfit:
    Head: none
    Armor: Lvl1 Cloth Armor (+3 Def, +1k1 Initiative)
    Feet: none
    Accessory 1: none
    Accessory 2: none
    Main Hand: Lvl1 Spell Profiency (2k2 Dmg)
    Off Hand: none
    Perks: Elemental Duality

    Stats:
    HP: 50
    Defense: 8
    Initiative: 3k3
    Movement: 15ft
    Tenets:
    Power: 1
    Courage: 2
    Wisdom: 3
    Combat Skills:
    Aim: 3
    Inspiration: 3
    Debilitation: 2
    Healing: 2
    Utility Skills:
    Charisma: 3
    Fingersmith: 3
    Tenacity: 2
    Arcana: 2
     
  2. Ok, here is what I have. What quest will we be tackling?

    Outfit:
    Head: none
    armor: lv 1 light armor (+5HP, +2 Defence, +1k0 initiative)
    feet: none
    accessory 1: none
    accessory 2: none
    Main hand: lv 1 missile weapon (2k2 damage)
    off hand: none
    Perks: stealth


    Character Sheet:
    Defense: 7
    HP: 55
    Initiative: 3k2
    Movement: 15

    Archetype name: Hunter
    Tent: Courage
    Combat skills: Resolve & Natural affinity
    Utility skills: Awareness & Athletics

    Tents:
    Power: 2
    Courage: 3
    Wisdom:2

    Combat skills:
    Aim: 3
    Resolve: 3
    Natural affinity: 2
    Debilitation: 1

    Utility skills:
    Awareness: 3
    Athletics: 3
    Fingersmith: 2
    Tenacity: 1

    Natural Affinity pet:
    HP: 25
    Defence: 7
    Movement: 10ft
    Accuracy: 2k2
    Damage: 1k1
     
  3. Canadian Nay

    Canadian Nay Beaver Knight
    Assessor Scribe

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2016
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    10
    Credit:
    0

    LV: 1

    Aliases:
    Zimo Aririke
    Sylus Manira
    Rawiya Shahr
    Sorry I left this alone for a week. I had some Internet troubles. I'll try to keep on top of it from now on. The quest itself will be a basic one I make up as we go along. Rawiya will be taking orders from Varus, so tell me any rolls you'd like her to make.

    As the team enters the crypt, iron bars rise out of the ground, barricading the door they came through. They won't be returning that way very easily... The crypt is about twenty feet wide at the entrance and eighty feet deep, kept alight by magical torches giving of eerie green light from similarly coloured flames. At the far end you see a sarcophagus all by its lonesome. The floor and walls appear to be made of stone.
     
  4. "GREEN FLAME!"

    Varus is going to inspect the area for traps and check the sarcophagus as well. He instructs Rawiya to check the sarcophagus', and the torches' magical properties. His wolf companion (NA pet) will stay in front of him the whole time, and he instructs Rawiya to stay just behind them as they search.

    I'm making an awareness check so (awareness)k(courage)?
    that's 3k3
    rolls (10, 8, 2) but the 10 is a crit so i roll one more
    (3)
    (10+3, 8,2) so 23

    What does he see?

    tell me If i'm doing anything wrong.
     
  5. Canadian Nay

    Canadian Nay Beaver Knight
    Assessor Scribe

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2016
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    10
    Credit:
    0

    LV: 1

    Aliases:
    Zimo Aririke
    Sylus Manira
    Rawiya Shahr
    So, I am definitely the worst. Sooo sorry!

    You rolled correctly. I don't know where you rolled, but until our own Dice Roller is fixed (there are some technical issues with it saving logs) we'll be using http://www.threesheets.org/dice/ and the game is titled VarusTraining. Having a log of past rolls is helpful.

    ---Rawi's Turn

    Rawiya rolls Arcana on the torches and again on the sarcophagus as per Varus' instruction, staying behind him. Specific rolls, like inspecting the torches, are generally more effective than general rolls which don't target anything specifically.

    16 = 2d10 [10, 6]+0 Arcana - Torches
    5 = 1d10 [5]+0 Arcana - Torches (Crit)
    Total: 21

    17 = 2d10 [8, 9]+0 Arcana - Sarcophagus


    ---Quest Master's Turn

    Varus' keen awareness allows him to see, even in the dim light, that a number of stone panels in the floor appear to be slightly raised. They are far enough apart that they could be easily avoided now that the party knows what to look for, up to 40 feet in. Afterwards, the raised panels get too close together to easily maneuver around.

    Rawiya senses that the torches are lit by magic, which is colouring the flames. She is certain that there is no malicious magic involved: they are simply green-coloured flames. As for the sarcophagus, it is too far away for her to sense very much but she does notice an aura of sinister Shadow magic emanating from within.
     
  6. it's fine I was just wondering where you were.

    I rolled my own home dice that I use for D&D for that last roll. I'll use the site from now on so you can make sure i'm rolling right and not fudging the rolls.


    Ok then Varus and his wolf are going to stealthily move in closer and check to see if he can disarm the traps that are hard to get by. Rawiya can move up 20ft or so through the easily passed traps and see if she can make out anything more about the sarcophagus now that she's closer.

    It says on the stealth perk it is (fingersmith)k(wisdom) so 2k2
    8 = 2d10 [6, 2]
    not so good

    Now does my NA pet have to make a stealth check as well or does it just use mine?

    And the disarming of the traps would also be (Fingersmith)k(Wisdom) if I am correct

    12 = 2d10 [6, 6]
    that's better

    Let me know about the NA pet
     
  7. Canadian Nay

    Canadian Nay Beaver Knight
    Assessor Scribe

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2016
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    10
    Credit:
    0

    LV: 1

    Aliases:
    Zimo Aririke
    Sylus Manira
    Rawiya Shahr
    Yeah, Fingersmith could also have been called Thiefcraft but I thought the former was more apt for non-thief characters that may also have it, lol. Stealth does use it, as the perk says. I'll say your pet will share your stealth roll, unless it's something crazy like a grizzly bear or some kind of golem. This would be up to Quest Master discretion, depending on how bulky/stealthy your pet should be.

    ---

    Varus and his wolf make a bit of noise as they approach the midway point, but nothing seems to be stirred by this. Noting this, Rawiya also follows to the midway point without anything bad happening. She has a better view of the sarcophagus now, and tries to sense it again:

    18 = 2d10 [9, 9]+0 Arcana

    From 40ft away, Rawiya has much more success with sensing the contents of the sarcophagus. "There's something... undead in there," she explains to Varus. "Rife with Shadow magic, but inactive for the time being. I don't think any amount of noise would wake it up. Whatever it is, it isn't tied to the raised floor panels--those must trigger something else."

    Speaking of the floor panels, Varus successfully disarms the nearest one. There are countless left, and disarming them all one at a time would take longer than your water rations could last. You'll have to find another means to progress. However, now that you have arrived at the 40ft mark, you note that there are some protruding bricks, lit up by the green firelight, that someone could possibly use as handholds to cross the remaining distance (Athletics). To the right there is strange panel in the wall, which has clicking gears beside it (Tinkering).
     
  8. "Let's play this safe." Varus shoots a crossbow bolt at the Sarcophagus to see what happens.

    If something does happen Varus and his wolf will react to what happens

    If nothing happens, and the bolt just bounces off then he will attempt to use the hand holds to get to the other side and check around for a way to get Rawiya over.

    Do i need to roll for hit on inanimate objects? ima roll it just in case.15 = 3d10 [5, 7, 3]
    11 = 3d10 [7, 1, 3] hit

    For going across if his bolt doesn't do anything.
    8 = 3d10 [2, 3, 3] athletics but Since it's 3k2 i only keep the highest 2 so its 6


    I most likely fell off the wall with that one but just in case here is the awareness check for looking around
    15 = 3d10 [5, 7, 3] Awareness
     
  9. Canadian Nay

    Canadian Nay Beaver Knight
    Assessor Scribe

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2016
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    10
    Credit:
    0

    LV: 1

    Aliases:
    Zimo Aririke
    Sylus Manira
    Rawiya Shahr
    While it's fine in this training session due to us being the only players, in a quest with other players (up to 4 + the Quest Master for most of them) it's best not to go too far ahead, allowing other characters time to react to things.

    ---

    The bolt hits the sarcophagus but bounces off its stone, clattering to the floor. Fortunately it isn't heavy enough to set off any of the floor panels. Unfortunately, Varus' hand slips on one of the handholds. He dangles for a moment with one hand, before falling and landing on the floor on his butt. The fall isn't high enough for him to take any damage, but he does activate the floor panels...

    Fire Trap 6 = 1d10 [8] -2

    Flame erupts from a tiny hole in the center of the panel, dealing 6 damage to Varus before he is able to step away. He has 49/55 HP.
     
  10. I step back and stare at the panels again, did me setting them of trigger anything else, did setting of the one seem to trigger the whole system of are they individual traps that are triggered seperatllty?

    27 = 3d10 [8, 9, 10]+0 Awareness- traps

    If none of them are active I will just walk across with my wolf

    If they are still active I will try to cross the hand holds again.
    4 = 3d10 [1, 2, 1]+0 Athletics- handholds but its 3 cuz I drop one of the one's

    Ugg, the dice are really screwing me over here. That's what makes it fun.
     
  11. Canadian Nay

    Canadian Nay Beaver Knight
    Assessor Scribe

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2016
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    10
    Credit:
    0

    LV: 1

    Aliases:
    Zimo Aririke
    Sylus Manira
    Rawiya Shahr
    You did have a crit you could have rolled. Some of the most hilarious moments on past RoHs have been due to extremely long critical chains (go ask Obsidian about the Great Fairy of Love) so it's never bad to roll criticals even when they seem excessive.

    Anyway, Varus inspects the traps and realises that they are triggered separately when each is stepped on. There was also a short delay between triggering the panel and the flame spouting. Sprinting across the floor without hesitating would certainly take a fearless resolve (Tenacity). Varus jumps, but the jump is so pitiful he doesn't even manage to reach the hand hold--it's all for the best because he lands on his feet without triggering a trap again.

    Assuming Varus would tell her about the traps, Rawiya will sprint across the fire traps:
    Rawiya 7 = 2d10 [5, 2] +0 Tenacity

    She hesitates only slightly, the trail of riding flame behind her catching up to her just once:
    Fire Trap 4 = 1d10 [4] +0

    Rawiya has 46/50 HP remaining. If Varus is going to sprint he (and the wolf) roll his Tenacity. They share the roll, so only roll once.
     
  12. I'll remember that next time. I'll do the same after seeing Rawiya run across.

    10 = 1d10 [10] +0 tenacity 7 = 1d10 [7] +0 tenacity (crit)

    that's 17 as I sprint down the hallway
     
  13. Canadian Nay

    Canadian Nay Beaver Knight
    Assessor Scribe

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2016
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    10
    Credit:
    0

    LV: 1

    Aliases:
    Zimo Aririke
    Sylus Manira
    Rawiya Shahr
    Amazingly, neither Varus nor his wolf companion suffer any damage despite the flames trailing behind them.
     
  14. Ok when we get to the other side of the traps i'm going to stealth again hiding in the shadows off to the side.
    14 = 2d10 [4, 10]+0 Stealth and another crit 2 = 1d10 [2]+0 Stealth (crit)
    for a grand total of 16

    Then I warn Rawiya to be on guard and have my wolf carefully approach the Sarcophagus and touch it very gingerly.
     
  15. Canadian Nay

    Canadian Nay Beaver Knight
    Assessor Scribe

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2016
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    10
    Credit:
    0

    LV: 1

    Aliases:
    Zimo Aririke
    Sylus Manira
    Rawiya Shahr
    At Varus' touch, the sarcophagus resonates with a pulse of Shadow energy that even a non-mage is able to feel, shivers running down everyone's spine. The green flames in the torches around the room suddenly blaze thrice their height, casting a sickly glow on everything in sight. And then the lid of the sarcophagus begins to slowly slide open and reveal a skeletal hand, even as audible clicks sound around the room as the floor traps are disabled--at least that's one less thing to worry about.
     
  16. Instinctively, my wolf will jump back and stay defensive until my order. Varus will stay hidden and will fire the moment it does anything hostile.

    Just in case i'm going to roll initiative for me now so we don't have to take the next three posts sorting it out.

    22 = 3d10 [7, 5, 10]+0 Initiative doping the 5 makes it 17
    1 = 1d10 [1]+0Initiative (crit)
    and with the crit its an 18 initiative

    What happens next?
     
  17. Canadian Nay

    Canadian Nay Beaver Knight
    Assessor Scribe

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2016
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    10
    Credit:
    0

    LV: 1

    Aliases:
    Zimo Aririke
    Sylus Manira
    Rawiya Shahr
    Sorry about the wait.

    Varus' turn is first. He and his wolf share a turn, meaning they can act in any order on their turn. Because of that amazingly high initiative and being in Stealth, I'm granting you a bonus to your Sneak Attack (+2k1 damage instead of +1k1). The wolf doesn't get this effect.

    Rawiya will go second.

    The Feral Stalfos goes last, and skips its first turn due to climbing out of the sarcophagus. During this first turn it will have a bonus to Defense as a result of being partially covered by the sarcophagus.

    ---

    Enemy stats:

    Feral Stalfos
    70 HP
    6 Defense (8 on first turn)
    10ft movement
    3k2 Accuracy (5ft weapon range)
    2k2 Damage

    Ability: Bone Rush
    On its third, sixth, ninth (etc) turn this enemy can charge for its Movement and deal damage to every enemy in its melee range during this time. Rolls accuracy once against all valid targets.

    There may be hidden abilities or weaknesses that only the QM knows.

    Varus begins 5ft away and is hidden.
    Rawiya and the wolf, 15ft away.
     
  18. so Varus, not realizing that he was closer to the stal than his wolf was is going to back away his full movement, 15ft away then turn around and fire a shot off at the stal.

    so my aim is 3k3 but i moved so that brings me back to 2k3

    9 = 3d10 [3, 1, 5]+0 Aim- stal and taking out the 1 brings it to 8, his exact defense.

    I am going to assume that this is similar to D&D where if you get equal to or higher then it hits so i'm going to roll damage. If thisw is not the case with this system then just don't count the damage here.

    4k3 dmg
    20 = 4d10 [2, 6, 10, 2]+0 Dmg- stal take away the 2 to get 18
    3 = 1d10 [3]+0Dmg- stal (crit)

    and that brings it to a grand total of 21 damage!

    stal 49 HP

    and my wolf is going to charge at it and attack as well
    2k2
    9 = 2d10 [5, 4]+0aim- stal Hit!

    damage
    1k1
    6 = 1d10 [6]+0dmg- stal

    Stal 43 HP
    (or if it was not hit by the first attack) stal 64 HP

    Tell me if i did anything wrong and if the first attack counts since it was on the edge
     
  19. Canadian Nay

    Canadian Nay Beaver Knight
    Assessor Scribe

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2016
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    10
    Credit:
    0

    LV: 1

    Aliases:
    Zimo Aririke
    Sylus Manira
    Rawiya Shahr
    Super sorry about the wait!

    So, on RoH you need to beat the enemy's defence to hit, which means that since its defence was 8, you needed to roll a 9 at minimum to hit. We don't do graze damage either, in an effort to keep things fairly simple, so Varus unfortunately missed. However, the wolf hit, so the Stalfos has taken some damage.

    Rawiya launches a sand projectile spell at the Stalfos:

    Rawiya 17 = 3d10 [10, 1, 6] +0 EarthSpellAcc

    Rolling a critical on Accuracy is pointless (though it's a good idea to roll it with anything else). She hits for damage:

    Rawiya 5 = 2d10 [2, 3] +0 EarthSpellDmg

    She deals 5 damage, bringing the Feral Stalfos down to 59/70 HP.

    The Stalfos uses its turn to finish climbing out of the sarcophagus. It brandishes a gruesome looking sword, and makes a rattling noise as it looks down at the wolf with empty eyes. No longer protected by the sarcophagus, it's defence is lowered to 6.
     
  20. hey sorry for being the one gone for so long im back now.

    Varus is gonna move back another 15 ft and take another shot at the stal

    Varus 16 = 3d10 [4, 9, 3]+0 Accuracy take of the 3 and its still 13 which hits

    3 = 2d10 [2, 1]+0 damage as the arrow more or less scratches it

    and my wolfo is gonna attack it again

    8 = 2d10 [4, 4]+0 accuracy which is a hit now as its defence is lower

    4 = 1d10 [4]+0 damage as it bites on the stal like its chew toy dealing more damage than Varus
     

Share This Page